The World Health Organization (WHO) has formally declared the COVID-19 outbreak a pandemic on 12th March 2020. According to WHO, pandemic means a “sudden increase in the number of cases all over the world, usually affecting a large number of people”. Indonesia’s President has also announced Large-scale social restrictions that banned all gatherings, including international meetings, sporting events, social and religious assemblies due to the Covid-19 pandemic. Moreover, Indonesia’s Ministry of Law and Human Rights has announced that Indonesia will ban the entry and/or transit of foreigners into Indonesian territory, as stipulated by Minister of Law and Human Rights regulation No. 11/2020 on the Temporary Prohibition of Foreigners from Entering the Territory of the Republic of Indonesia. The ban will come into effect starting April 2, 2020, and will last until the pandemic is over.
Due to growing concerns about COVID-19, IAICT 2020 will cancel its physical conference this year and shifting to a fully virtual conference. This unfortunate event does give us the opportunity to innovate on how to host an effective virtual conference. Therefore, organizing committees are now working very hard to create a virtual conference that will be valuable and engaging for both presenters and participants.
The virtual conference is scheduled to be held on 7-9 July 2020. Hence, all presenters for IAICT 2020 are required to prepare a Virtual Video Presentation and must follow the attached guidelines for the preparation of your video presentation.
- Presentation will be schedulled and opened for all authors using Webex. Go to the following link to access to the virtual rooms. https://webex
- Virtual rooms can be accessed directly from Cisco Webex Meetings website or you can first download Webex Application to your device.
- Each virtual room have its own unique Meeting ID, Password and Link.
- To join the session through the web,
- Insert the Meeting ID and press ‘enter’ from your keyboard
- Insert the Password and click ‘OK’
- Click ‘Join Meeting’
- Otherwise, you can copy and paste the Meeting Link and press ‘enter’ from your keyboard
- To join the session through Webex App,
- Insert the Meeting ID and click ‘Join’
- Insert the Password and click ‘Next’
- Otherwise, you can copy and paste the Meeting Link and click ‘Join’
- Each session will be hosted by a Session Chair and assisted by a Session Vice-Chair.
- Session Chair will play all the recorded video of all presentations according to the schedule.
- Each presenter must be in the virtual room throughout the session. After your video has been aired, 3-5 minutes will be allocated for the Question & Answer session.
- There will be no parallel session and only one virtual rooms conducted during the conference.
- Each presenter must have completed and returned the biography form to the Session Chair before the session starts.
The DOs in the Virtual Conference
- Do have proper equipment and the right technology.
- Do test your microphone before you video call. Test it by video conferencing your colleague before the conference.
- Do test your hardware and internet connection beforehand.
- Do turn off all notifications and make sure your cell phone is on silent.
- Do mute yourself when not talking.
- Do stick to the time frames.
- Do give your full attention to the participants as you would if you were in the same room.
- Do give everyone a chance to participate.
- Do wait for your turn to speak.
- Do speak clearly, concisely and use good manners.
- Do listen to attentively to everyone.
- Do limit meeting distractions.
- Do respect everyone‘s time.
- Do be courteous to other participants
- Do keep body movements minimal.
- Do maintain eye contact by looking into the camera.
- Do dress appropriately.
- Do make sure your room is well lit (side lighting is the best).
- Do set up a virtual background if you don’t have time to tidy up your space.
- Do be careful about the documents or screens you’re sharing.
- Do be aware of potential cultural differences. It’s important to be prepared for communication challenges that may arise as a result of language barriers or differences in etiquette.
- Do be patient when things get complicated.
- Do make sure password protection is enabled.
- Do be yourself and have fun!
The DON’Ts in the Virtual Conference
- Don’t wait until the session time to log in.
- Don’t position your camera too low, too high. Weird camera angles can be very distracting and unflattering during video conference calls.
- Don’t invite unnecessary people.
- Don’t make distracting sounds.
- Don’t interrupt other speakers.
- Don’t multitask.
- Don’t shout.
- Don’t make distracting movements.
- Don’t carry on side conversations.
- Don’t talk over each other. Use the chat function to ask questions.
- Don’t open the irrelevant programs.